Highlight Reel #4

Friday, September 16, 2016
We had a special visitor this week.  Mrs. Naylor, Beulah Ralph’s daughter came to visit our classroom.  She made a short book telling a fun story about her mother, Mrs. Ralph.  After reading it to our class, we were able to ask her questions about her mother.  We learned that she was a great person who worked hard to make it possible for ALL kids to go to school and get a great education.  Each of us have a copy of the book in our Friday Folders for you to enjoy as a family. 
Shapes, shapes and more shapes!  We sorted shapes and talked about how many sides they have.  We learned hex means six so a six sided shape is a hexagon.  We looked for shapes around the room.  We found circle tables, rectangle cages, a square smart board, a circle clock and a rectangle rug.  Pictures were drawn starting with a single shape and adding things to turn it into something else.  We finished the week by filling a hexagon with other shapes like a puzzle. 










For writing, we made settings for characters and told stories about them.  Some of us shared our work with the class.  We also started talking about labels.  We learned that writes use labels to tell about the different parts of their drawing.  We used Pete the Cat to help us learn about labels.  We will continue this work next week. 


Today we began using star cards.  As the week went on, I felt that I was correcting behavior more and more.  I told the kids that I felt more like a police officer than a teacher!  I strive to be a positive person and I would much rather tell them when they are making the right choice than when they are not.  So because of this, today we began using star cards.  Our first goal was to follow directions.  When I saw kids that were following directions, I gave them a star cards.  I had them put it in their take home folder.  I asked them to share with you all the reasons that they were given these cards.  Please talk with your child and celebrate the good things they are doing.  I hope to use this less as a reward and more as a way for me to identify what it looks like to follow directions and a way for you and your child to process together what good school choices are and why they are important.  I’m hoping that as the year goes on we will need these less and less, but for now they sure did appreciate the positive praise. 


Announcements:

Thank you to all that have sent family pictures.  The cubbies look great and it makes a great space for each child.  If you haven’t sent one in there is still time.  I will take them any time!

No comments